Alison Lucy's Blog


Audio Orb- Avon Harmony
June 3, 2010, 23:38
Filed under: Non-Viable Document

I had looked at my animation a lot, particularly after some intense Final Cut Pro sessions. Looking at my previous animation (shown in the post below) I felt it was almost there but not quite. It was the changing light in the background that was bothering me. I’m all for the ‘hand-made feel’ to animations but it was flickering away so much that it became a distraction. Despite spending time creating various actions in Photoshop and batching folders of images to ‘desaturate’ and then alter the levels, it was always a struggle against how the light had already been. There was always variation. A friend came to my rescue in introducing me to creating a ‘mask’ on Final Cut Pro, so that the colour outside of the circle was consistently black. After much fiddling around and waiting for one last painful render I had updated the animation…

I am pleased with how it resembles a sort of ‘peep-hole’ into the Avon Harmony’s sound, and despite ¬†inconsistencies of light within the ‘audio orb’ itself in terms of ‘blackness’ I feel that the character of the piece better reflects the character of the group than a perfectly black and white Flash animation would have.



Animation- Avon Harmony
June 1, 2010, 22:08
Filed under: Non-Viable Document

It was time to start animating. No excuses. I’ve come to the conclusion that in my work I need to have trust the in process and that an outcome will eventually materialise. It’s just a tad daunting when you realise that your outcome is a simple animation because they aren’t exactly well known for being the quickest of activities. In order to carry out this drawn animation I needed to borrow a rather large and heavy piece of equipment home to my flat. The weight of the item was¬†apt for my task ahead. I tried to think positive and just start drawing. And that’s what I did. Many memory cards and camera renewals later (this isn’t that helpful in creating a stop-motion animation) I had started something.

The summer had arrived early and there I was sitting in the sweaty haze of my bedroom, shutting out as much light as humanly possible. However it wasn’t dark enough; I had to work through the day and into the evening and of course the light changed. It didn’t worry me too much at this point, as long as the movements of the shapes were visible and my counting was correct (according to sketchbook scribblings regarding number of frames) I was feeling okay.

Below is the initial outcome to my animation edited to music. This involved much reversing of frames, speeding up, rendering, and general re-jigging. Of highest importance was the editing to the audio so that you felt like you were watching a natural visualisation of what you were hearing.